Sunday, May 20, 2012

La Revedere Prieteni Mei

I absolutely cannot believe that I hop on a plane for Philadelphia in two short weeks. There is so much yet to do in the way of packing, saying goodbye to friends and family, and sorting through clothes and other assorted goodies for donation.

Daily, I am more and more excited, yet sleep is dwindling as I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about language and teaching techniques. My rational side says, "I have no idea what's ahead, so just enjoy the ride," but my less rational side keeps trying to predict and play "chess" with players I don't even know.

This weekend, I had an incredible time with many friends, saying goodbye. First, went up to Canada and said la revedere to my friends Laura, Campbell and Kelvin. Thanks for the great dinner y'all, and for the always-stimulating conversation. You never fail to inspire me. And Laura, thanks for the wonderful poetry by Herman Hesse! Great food (spicy Thai - as I will be missing spice in Moldova), and better company. What's not to love? Go Avafina Pet Products and Commodities!

As I arrived early in Canada, I decided to get a few shots of Vancouver, and found my way to the top of Boundary Rd thinking I could find a great vantage point of the city and the river. As I was walking around in this posh Burnaby, BC neighborhood, a very friendly woman came up to me and asked what I was up to on such a beautiful day. I explained that I was trying to get some great shots, and she volunteered her deck as a vantage point. I further explained that I was joining the Peace Corps, and did that ever open the flood gates. We stood chatting for a good half hour. Sharon and her husband are retired elementary school teachers and they had lots of advice for me, and stated that they would have loved to have done what I'm going to do. It was a true affirmation of my trip, and I felt somehow less apprehensive about taking my camera around Moldova when I get there. Sharon invited me to come back after I return from the Peace Corps and share my experiences with them. Already, I'm fulfilling my mission for the Peace Corps.

Vancouver, BC as seen from the top of Boundary Rd in Burnaby.

The stunning mountains that backdrop North Vancouver.

The rest of the weekend was spent outside of Deming, WA (extreme Northern Washington State) with my adopted family: the Cohea clan. This is a group of close friends who are not blood family, but are the next best thing. Many of my friends showed up to send me off, and I have to admit to several moments of being a little verklempt about missing them for nearly 3 years. I know that I'll have all the wonders of technology at my disposal, but I'll still miss them.

Judy, the matriarch of the group, hates for anyone to go hungry, so there was more food than any one group of nearly 20 could possibly eat, and oh was it delicious. Of special note were the baked beans with bacon, hamburger, and about a quarter bottle of Drambuie! The ribs that were smoked all day literally fell off the bones, and the list goes on and on. Thank you, Judy, for your out-pouring of love!

Judy and her bff Maryanne. Hugs to you both!
I also have to thank Liz for one of the coolest cakes I have ever had! It was a red-velvet cake in the shape of a suitcase, complete with handle, lock and a real leather appearance. It was as delicious as it was creative and I was really touched by how much work went into the effect.

The cake reads "Goodbye and good luck" in Romanian.
I also want to share one of the neatest cards I've ever received. As I will be teaching and I collect children's books, much of the card is inspired by Dr. Seuss. Shana, you are amazing, and I was so touched by this handmade card.

A closeup of my Bon Voyage card.

A wise woman (and I've been fortunate to have met many) once said to me that life is a river, and we bob along in the current of the river. As we do so, we meet people who influence our lives and we influence theirs. The current, however, often sends our friends off in a different direction, but we frequently meet our really good friends many times as we flow down the river of our lives.

Thank you to my many good friends, and thank you for letting me participate, even if for a short while, in your adventures.

I'm off to have my own now in two short weeks!

What a spread! Enough food to feed the Moldovan military.
Rich, Shana and Chester

Trei prieteni şi de familie.
Fraţi

No comments:

Post a Comment