Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Still Packing

Okay, I'm leaving my fourth packing job for a bit because I need the break. Weighed my largest bag today and it came in at 57lbs. before I get my hiking boots in, so, it was back to the packing this morning. Just 5 days left before I head to staging.

 My friend Sharon keeps texting me, wondering about could have beens and might have beens, and I'm getting a bit maudlin myself. But... I'm constantly pulled by the promise of the new adventure, the smell of change in the air, the taste of something different, that tingly feeling you get when you board an airplane; possibility around every corner. There's a great quote in Illusions by Richard Bach: "In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice."

I'm also thinking of another truth I've heard: "Life's like a movie; write your own ending. Keep believing, keep pretending we've done just what we've set out to do, thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and you." - The Muppets

On a side note, I had a great Memorial Day weekend with my friend Kate. I made a "last supper"(of my all-time favorite meal) for us of thin pork chops, milk gravy, biscuits, broccoli (something I understand is not available in Moldova) smashed potatoes, apple sauce and a razzleberry pie for dessert. Okay, I gained about five pounds, but it was well worth it. The sun was brilliant and the weather cooperated all but one day so we got in some sight seeing, some long beach walks and, as it was garage-sale weekend on the Peninsula, some great deals on games for me to send to Moldova and some going away gifts for friends and family. Talk about an absolutely beautiful sunset:
Memorial Day weekend sunset in Ocean Park, WA
Thank you to Kate for making my weekend and my last visit to the beach for three years so special!
Thinking about, and thankful for, all the friends and
family who serve and have served our country.

Memorial Day Bald Eagle on the beach

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are "packing in" all the fun you can have before you leave. I know we all will love reading about your adventures. Remember, 20 seconds of courage!!!

    ReplyDelete