Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Price We Pay

Money is always one of those delicate things we dance around in the U.S. Some are bold enough to walk up and ask, "what did that set you back?" Others, are more tentative, hmming and hawing around the subject, but not wanting to be rude. I was brought up never to talk about one's financial situation, and certainly it was none of my business what someone else's salary was or what a large ticket item like a house, boat, car, etc. cost.

But, bottom line it, everything does cost. This little adventure of mine is going to cost plenty. There is a mortgage to pay, insurance to keep going, and the little expenses that are the infrastructure of a life. So, I must give a major shout out to two people who have helped to make this adventure in the Peace Corps possible financially: Char and Kelvin.

Char Garrett is my most excellent accountant. I've never met a sharper mind when it comes to taxes and tax law. The woman is a genius. She and Kelvin (my bookkeeper who helped craft my returns for the last three years) were able to get enough taxes back to allow me to build a pot from which I will be drawing for the next three years. Without their help, I simply would not have been able to leave a great paying job and set off to work in a very poor European country. Mulţumesc mult to both Char and Kelvin.

When I land in Moldova, I plan on sharing with my readers the various prices and values of goods and services in Moldova, as well as the various places I visit in Europe. I know I find these things fascinating, so hopefully some of you as well. I did find out the other day that the average monthly salary of a full-time teacher in Moldova is 1,000 lei. As of this writing, the leu is worth about 8.4 U.S. cents. That means that a monthly salary would be about $85 U.S. While the leu stretches much further in Moldova, than the dollar does here, that is still a pittance on which to live. I will be paid less than this per month while in Moldova. Should be fun. :o) It's certainly belt tightening time.

The leu (singular) [pronounced lee-oo but run together], by the way is also the Romanian word for "lion". Lei [lay] is the plural. Stephan Cel Mare (Stephen The Great) is pictured on all Moldovan currency.

The 5-Lei Note with Stephan Cel Mare pictured.

No comments:

Post a Comment