Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Passport for the Peace Corps

The other essay that I was asked to write was on the subject of "Why the Peace Corps?" Again, these essays were to be very short and to the point.

A Passport for the Peace Corps

Occasionally, life gives one a glimpse of the synchronicity of events that together comprise the sum total of a human being. My father often told me that we are all born with a blank passport for our travels in life, and each experience we have is a stamp in that passport. These "stamps" help show us where we've been, but also facilitate the opportunity to explore and develop.

As a military child not only did I experience and learn to love a diversity of cultures, but I also developed an avid curiosity and desire to break the "code" of foreign languages and to unravel the ways that various cultures are both similar and distinct. This led to three things: 1) a strong desire to understand how all living systems and people are interconnected; 2) a healthy appetite for learning; and, 3) an equally strong enjoyment of teaching what I've learned.

My interests are as diverse as my background, and this would significantly assist in the development of a partnership between myself and the Peace Corps. I lived and worked in a small farming community, mid-sized towns, as well as in major metropolitan areas. A love of plants and their nutritional value caused me to study nutrition and botany. This, in turn lead to studying and teaching the care and wellness of small animals and animal husbandry. My strong interest in language led to a minor in Spanish and the pursuit of a Master's degree in English literature, which I also taught at the University level. I've started and owned two very different and successful businesses which taught me the value of customer service as well as the navigation of the steps for starting a business. Finally, I've worked for and managed a wide variety of people in several increasingly executive roles -- learning and teaching along the way.

My father often told me that we are all born
with a blank passport for our travels in life,
and each experience we have is a stamp in that passport.

The biggest challenge I will face in the Peace Corps is the possibility of working under difficult conditions in the absence of amenities  that the First World simply expects. However, my extensive travels and interface with differing groups of people and distinct cultures will help me face these challenges directly.

The Peace Corps is a sum total of the "stamps" my metaphorical passport has received in life's journey. It is the logical next step in continuing on that journey. My personal, educational and professional life constitutes the collection of experiences that bring me to this fantastic opportunity, and I strongly believe that my "passport" would not be complete without the chance to serve another country through the Peace Corps.

1 comment: